The Kids Read Now 2018 campaign goal of $23,000 has been met! These funds will allow each child in kindergarten through third grade to be enrolled in this summer reading program.
Kids Read Now is the program of choice for the Grand Haven Area Public Schools’ administrators and teachers who continue to tackle literacy head-on in their classrooms. Kids Read Now is a literacy program that focuses on avoiding summer reading loss. Up to two months of reading skills can be lost over the summer and teachers are spending up to six weeks in the fall reteaching old material. It only takes children two to three hours of reading per week during the summer to prevent any learning loss.
More than anything, we want children to build on their achievement and to develop a lifelong love of reading and learning.
Results from Kids Read Now…
- GHAPS outperformed other first-year schools in every component of the program.
- GHAPS exceeded the average participation rate (57%) with a 69% participation rate.
- GHAPS exceeded the average number of books students read in the first year (between 5-6 books); GHAPS had an average of 7 books read per active student.
- A total of 7,301 books were read.
- Nearly 65% of students grew or maintained their reading level.
“We are excited not only for the high number of students who grew or maintained, but also because the average loss, or slide, was a fraction of what is expected over the summer”. –Mary Jane Evink, Director of Instructional Services, Grand Haven Area Public Schools.